Elena Poma was born in Puerto Rico and raised in Hartford. She attended schools in Connecticut and Puerto Rico and became fluent in Spanish and English. She is a first generation college graduate with a Master’s in social work from Springfield College. Elena and her husband, Luis, moved to South Windsor over 20 years ago with the hope of raising their children in a safe community and also give them an opportunity to attend the best schools in Connecticut. They accomplished that by raising three children who attended South Windsor public schools. They had a great education and opportunities to participate in sports. To this date her son continues to participate in Challenger baseball.
Elena loves to travel and has visited over ten countries. Elena’s most influential trip abroad was when she traveled to Guatemala on a mission trip. Devote to her faith, Elena attends Crossroads Community Cathedral.
As a social worker Elena works with many private and public agencies developing strong relationships built around the common goal of helping and benefiting others. Her ability to listen and advocate for others will serve the South Windsor community well.
- Bachelor of Science from Springfield College School of Human Services
- Masters of Social Work from Springfield College School of Social Work
Citizenship in the Community
- Safety Committee. South Windsor. 2020-Present
- Co-Chair. 2020-Preset
- Focus Monitoring Committee. Connecticut Department of Education. 2003-2005
- Student mentor for the NASW Latino Social Work Program
- South Windsor RTC. 2019-Present